Sunday, September 2, 2012

weekends wipe me out

I tried to get Finn geared up for the weekend by starting off with a therapy session at my dad's. He made it in the house this trip, paced around the downstairs for a while, then found the loft upstairs and put himself in a corner for the rest of the evening. He's so scared of my dad and what makes it worse is that he said he would adopt him. I have a feeling it was a tall guy like my dad beating on him at one point. My dad's house is also very open and it probably doesn't feel very safe to him.
Satuurday we headed to the shelter to get his ears cleaned out by the staff, who all can't get over how cute he is. After we were good to go and got our instructions for taking him to the vet on Friday, we headed up to my dad's again. I know I shouldn't let him hide in the corner and be scared, but I did. There were 6 adults roaming around and 2 very young kids. It was a lot for a timid dog, but Dad insisted that I bring him and not leave him alone in the crate. Big news from yesterday: Harper and Finn touched noses! Finn is very submissive to the cats which is definitely going to make them becoming friends much easier.
I thought about just letting the little guy chill out at home today, but when the b/f's mom asked if I was going to bring him over to meet her, I couldn't say no. I also wanted to watch some Dogtown to get some guidance from the episodes where they are dealing with very shy dogs. The afternoon turned out to be much more than that...before your mind wanders too far: Finn did great! He did hide behind the couch a little bit and took shelter in a few nooks, but he also followed b/f's dog Wrigley around as well as his mom from time to time. He didn't quite understand Wrigley's energy. They tugged on some toys together and seemed to have a pretty good time observing each other. Here's a few picks from our afternoon:


Nature was against us this afternoon while we were at the b/f's. To start off, Finn lifted his leg on my foot. Then Wrigley ran through a yellow jacket nest while playing fetch so he was covered with the nasty little things. B/f's mom is smacking them off a safe distance away, then SHE goes back to get his ball that he dropped next to the nest. Of course she gets stung in the legs about 10-15 times. She has never really been stung in her life, so she wasn't aware of how nasty and aggressive they can be. I made up a baking soda/water paste and covered up all of the stings. A little while later, we took the dogs out front for a potty break and there was a huge black snake next to my car. Oh, and somewhere in there, Finn threw up. Thankfully, our bad luck ended there and we're having a quiet evening at home before bed. We forgot the Kong, aka magic sleeping tool, at dad's last night, so hopefully some raw-hides will work as a substitute tonight. I have a feeling they won't be as effective, but I couldn't bare to spend $9 on something I already have at Target tonight and I don't feel like driving all the way to dad's for a 3rd day in a row.




No comments:

Post a Comment