Thursday, August 23, 2012

Adventures in Fostering, Day 1


So Saturday, my mom and I just happened to end up at the Humane Society in our county. We saw some cute dogs, some loud ones, some little ones, and one painfully shy one. I didn't see any that screamed out as "the one" so we left empty handed. We're are driving down the road when I say to mom, "OH SHIT! That was a kill shelter and I immediately think of the painfully shy one." The next day I couldn't concentrate in church because Mr. Chocolate Teddy Bear as they called him was all I could think of. As soon as we arrived back at home, I e-mailed the shelter that I volunteer with if they were able to pull him out of the Humane Soc. and if so, I'd be more than happy to foster him and offer him some dog therapy. A day and I half later, I didn't have a response. I checked the Humane Soc. website and they had just listed at least 7 new dogs and I panicked that Mr. Chocolate Teddy Bear may have been bumped out of a kennel. As soon as the clock hit 4:10, I was outta the bank and over to see if he was still there. The employees replied that he was, but a shelter might be picking him up in the morning. (Sigh of relief...the shelter they named was mine). Two days later, I've got Mr. Chocolate Teddy Bear at home. Here's what I've learned about him so far:

1. He is not housebroken :(
2. He is terrified of the words "ahhh ahhh," which we use to distract b/f's dog all the time. This is going to be a major challenge for the both of us. His reactions assure me that he was beaten before.
3. I think his new name is going to be Finn. Thoughts?
4. He LOVES his toys. I got him a few and ripped the tags off and threw them his direction. He came out from his hiding spot and picked up each one and took them back in his corner to sleep with.
5. I don't want him to be adopted until I see him wag his tail. Isn't that sad that he doesn't? Andy used to every time you said his name, or good boy, or pretty much anything in a sweet voice.
6. This is going to be the most rewarding thing I've done so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment